It's a Keeper: Turkey Breast with Mexican Squash

por | | |
It's a Keeper: Turkey Breast with Mexican SquashDo you ever think of making turkey breast? I certainly don't. My usual thoughts are chicken, fish, pork, or red meat, but I never really think to make turkey breast. It's certainly not something I crave - until now! This Turkey Breast with Mexican Squash from the May 2008 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray was a nice change of pace.

I generally only pick recipes that have a side dish with them, mostly because I like to take all the thinking out of it. For some reason, the pressure of deciding what to make as a side dish is too much for me. I know, I have issues. So, when I saw this recipe, with the Mexican Squash on the side, I knew I had to give it a try.

This meal took me about 40 minutes to make, but it could be shorter if you are a fast chopper. Give it a try for a little something different! Here's the recipe with my comments in brackets:

SERVES 4
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min

1/4 cup chili powder [Definitely ease back on tis if you aren't a fan of spicy food]
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
8 turkey breast cutlets (about 1 1/4 pounds)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 pound zucchini, halved and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
One 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup drained canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes

1. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt. Dust the turkey cutlets on both sides with the spice mixture. [I pretty much caked it on instead of dusting it, but next time I would probably do something in between.]

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Stir in the corn and tomatoes and simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.

3. In another large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat. Working in batches, add the turkey cutlets and fry until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with the Mexican squash.


Related Site

-Drink and Chicken Recipes

-Pork Chop Recipes online



0 comments:

Post a Comment